I’ll admit that it took me forever to get this project completed. I typically finish garments within a week (I try to spread it out), but this one literally took the whole month that the competition was running. It wasn’t so much due to difficulty as much as it was just taking my time and managing around other commitments. But, alas, here it is. My M7603 make in view E.
I typically don’t wear blouses, so I immediately ruled out the other views and narrowed it to view E, which I felt had a flattering shape, with is curved hem. I knew that I would be perfect with a chambray fabric. I had the styled look in my head even before I ordered the fabric from Amazon. The only thing that I dislike about the chambray is that it wrinkles so easily! ?
Let’s talk about the difficulty level. Although I am a beginner (I started sewing in January), I’m an adventurous one. I’m not really turned off by too many patterns, because I think its an opportunity to learn. This one was not exempt. I have admittedly shied away from button holes, so I knew this project would be a stretch one. When Brittany suggested this as one of the potential patterns to collaborate on, I knew it’d be a learning opportunity for me and others who participated in the challenge. It exposed two things to me: 1. Button holes really aren’t that bad 2. I need to upgrade my sewing machine to one that produces better quality button holes.
I remember Erica Bunker writing on her blog somewhere that she determined her machine choice based on the quality of the button hole. After completing this project, I see why. A button hole can make or break the professional appearance of your garment. Though my machine sufficed for the project, I will definitely need to upgrade if I want to produce higher quality garments in the future.
Additionally, the pattern calls for slipstitching around the collar. I’m not opposed to hand sewing; however, I did choose the longer view, which meant a lot of it. Instead, I decided to just stitch in the ditch to save time. If you don’t know what stitching in the ditch is, I’ve added a link to a Craftsy article here.
As the illustrations on the pattern shows, view E & F are like a dress, only with splits on the side. I immediately knew that I would have to do something to give it shape. Typically, my solution for non-fitted tops is cinching in at the waist with a belt. I’m bottom heavy, so if I don’t cinch, I look shapeless and big all around. That’s not the look I’m going for. After playing around in the mirror with a small waist belt, I decided that wasn’t the best option for the top. Instead, I just tied the two front pieces in a loose knot.
I like it! Very cute!